Monday, November 21, 2005

It’s Just That Good

I read a really great comic book last week called “Maus: A Survivor’s Tale”. I decided to read it because Wizard magazine gave it the number 1 spot in their list of the top 100 comic book stories of all time. It beat out “The Watchmen”, which is pretty much the best comic book I’ve ever read, so I gave it a shot.

It’s an amazing true story about a holocaust survivor. The book was written by the survivor’s (Vladek) son- Art Spiegelman. It goes back and forth between Vladek’s telling of the story, and Art’s time researching the story by interviewing his father.

Everybody knows how brutal the holocaust was, but I was still surprised at some of the things that happen in the story, but mostly I was amazed at Vladek’s ability to survive. The guy was incredibly resourceful. He narrowly escapes death I don’t even know how many times.

I convinced my Mom and my Dad to read it, and when they’re done, Marie even agreed to give it a shot. Even Kelly Parker said she would give it a try. None of them will be disappointed. A well written comic is just as great as a well written novel. They’ll all see. I know Doug wants to read it too. If it was easy to find I would tell him to just go buy it, because he’ll want to own after he reads it anyway. Hopefully everybody else will hustle up, so he can have a turn soon.