Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Back to the Gym Again.

Ben’s been going to preschool for a couple of weeks now, and as it turns out, there is a 24 Hour fitness about 50 feet from the community center that has the preschool, so I’ve been working out again. It’s perfect, because Ben gets to go to preschool, and I get to go to the gym without paying a retarded 3 dollars every time, because they let Jared use the 12 dollars a month, or whatever it is, that we pay to use the Kid’s Club there.

I also have a new workout strategy. I used to do 40-60 minutes of low intensity cardio followed by 3-4 sets of one exercise on a major muscle group (chest, legs, back). That wasn’t working so great, so now I do 1-2 exercises 3-4 sets each on a major muscle group, plus a few more exercises on the smaller muscles (biceps, triceps, shoulders, calves). I follow that with about 15 minutes of moderate to high intensity cardio.

The theory is that by working more muscles I’ll increase my lean body mass, which increases metabolism, and the higher intensity cardio will improve my cardio-vascular health, which also increases metabolism. The idea is to make my body more efficient at burning calories when I’m resting, whereas the old way I was trying to burn all of the calories by working out. We’ll see if this way works better.